Friday 27 February 2009

More retro "Oscars" reviews

Slumdog Millionaire: *** 1/2

There has been a lot of hype about this (all good press), so the expectations were high. The thing I liked about this was the simplicity of the storyline, which suited the overall style. This was generally a compelling movie, with interesting direction and acting (the most impressive acting came from the youngest actor who played Jamal). However, it was somewhat predictable, and the prevailing love story thread was rather cheesy (obviously the journey taken by the two young boys was far more compelling). I didn't find this movie particularly 'hard hitting' or 'uplifting' as the reviews were saying, but it was certainly moving. I wouldn't say that this was a disappointment, but I do feel that it has been overrated.

Changeling: ****

I am shocked to see that it hasn't even been nominated for 'best picture', a title it would've have been deserving of. I wanted to see Ange doing some amazing acting again (I loved her in Girl, Interrupted, but in nothing since), and was not let down. Her acting has matured and she carried this role really well. The film was artistically and stylistically wonderful, providing engaging and memorable images throughout. The narrative is also captivating, and it would be difficult not to feel completely involved in it. Despite this, I don't think this is one that I'd want to watch again, simply because some of the moments were so harrowing.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: ***

Obviously, this was a very commendable movie, and I liked it, but didn't love it. I just felt as though there was a lot missing. The relationship between Benjamin and Daisy was a little bit weird, but I wish they'd gone one step further and made it really freaky, disturbing even. Instead, it just seemed like another boring love story, with a bit of a twist. This should have been less trite and a whole lot more curious.

No comments: